Friday, February 19, 2010

No. 5: The Beach

b.arscott06

Not a day goes by that I don't think about the soft sand, the warm sun and the calming sound of the waves crashing against the shore. I love the beach. I grew up in Bruce County along the shores of Lake Huron and now that I live in the city I cannot believe how much I miss that luxury of having a beautiful beach within arm's reach every summer.

Any chance I get between June and October I am up in Port Elgin or Kincardine breathing in that fresh air and watching the most gorgeous sunsets each night over the water. The only good time to swim, however, is during the months of July and August. Any other month and you freeze or get sick because it's so cold. Trust me on that one. Evening dip in June, not such a good idea...

But it's not only the beaches of Lake Huron that I love so much. It's any beach really. My apartment is spotted with shells, pictures of sunsets and palm trees and not to mention my flip-flop addiciton. I have "California" t-shirts and even a wall hanging in my bedroom that says "Life's a Beach." The fact that I'm a water sign doesn't help with this addiction either. I love being in the water, being surrounded by the water and listening to the water. Listening to the waves is the most relaxing thing in the world. Summer cannot come fast enough!


b.arscott06

6 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you! The beach is one of my most favourite places to be as well. If you haven't had the chance you MUST get to Australia and visit the Whitsunday Islands. Whitehaven Beach is the most amazing place on earth. You talk about soft sand but I am telling you, you haven't felt soft until your feet touch the pure white sand of Whitehaven. Thailand is pretty incredible as well and of course the beach can be much more then a place to relax. Check out the famous Full Moon Party and you'll know what I mean...I have the burn scare to prove it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I agree with your love of beaches I have to disagree on your suggestion for what months you should go into the Great Lakes. There is no better time then on a cool September morning. It is a great way to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be a little "out there" but the best beach I have ever been to was the coastline of Moorea, a tiny island in French Polynesia, very close to Bora Bora and Tahiti. I would never have really thought of going there, except that when I was working on a cruiseship and crossing the Pacific, it was a stop on the itinerary. Absolutely breathtaking. We spent the entire day driving around the island's coastline and walking on the beaches. One of my greatest memories in my life so far is swimming in the turquoise water surrounded by Polynesian children who couldn't get over how white my friends and I were. Hilarious, but forever charming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how perfect, I read this post just after getting in from walking on the beach here in Florida. It was beautiful and I agree with everything in your post. During the walk I would stop walking at some points and just stand there looking out into the ocean, listening to the waves crashing and then running away from the water since I stupidly wore long pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last time I went to the beach was grade 9.. Ahhhh hahaha. I might be going to California though in June so I'm pretty pumped. This post just made me excited. So thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beach, besides a pretty good movie (ha...), is undeniably the fan-favourite destination. The beach is for everyone, and even for me! A nice large umbrella for when you've had too much sun, a few guitars, a case of 24 juices, a cooler of triple-decker sandwiches and a bunch of good buddies. Now the beach is referred to as the best place on earth.

    ReplyDelete